Old Fashioned Baked Apple Pie
Compliments of Angela Powers
- Heat oven to 425 degrees for 10 minutes. Then turn oven down to 325 degrees.
Pie Filling Ingredients:
6 cups thinly sliced apples (prefer Granny Smith apples; 6 – 8 apples)
¾ cup sugar (brown or white sugar)
2 Tbsps corn starch
1 tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp salt
1/8 tsp ground Nutmeg
1 Tbsp lemon juice
½ tsp lemon zest
2 Tbsps butter
1 stick of butter
3 cups of flour
1/8 tsp salt
¼ cup of ice water
- Cut butter into flour. Form a large ball. (Do not handle too much because it causes the dough to be tough.)
- Put dough in refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- Cut dough into half: Roll out dough to create the bottom pie crust and the top pie crust.
- In large bowl, gently mix the apple filling ingredients. Then place into pie crust lined pan.
- Place 2 Tbsps of butter into this mixture. Put 2nd layer of crust on top of pie and cut slits into top of crust.
- Press edges (or flute) of pie crust together to seal the pie.
- Bake pie for 40 – 45 minutes.
- Cool pie on cake rack.