Shwarzwald- Bayuk Cigars Podcast
The Freihofer Bakery and Levis Hotdogs combine forces in this “Lost Philadelphia” podcast.
The Freihofer Bakery was part of a vast industrial complex near North Philly’s Shibe Park.
A South Philly tradition at 507. S. 6th Street.
The second home of the classic Levis Sign above the old North Star Bar in Brewerytown. Today see it at Philly’s Neon Museum.
Anna Jarvis Grave: West Laurel Hill Cemetery: Bala Cynwyd, PA
Moviehouse Productions CEO with his mother at the Penn Fruit, September 1953. Thanks for everything, Mom!
Andalusia, PA Drive -In, Andalusia, PA, Cinema Treasures
Two Old Philadelphia Favorites…”Dewey’s” Restaurants and Fleers “Double Bubble”
Ace Eagles running back Steve Van Buren almost didn’t make it to the ballpark.
Mary Tyler Moore started her brilliant TV career in a series of 1956 Hotpoint appliance television commercials.
Old Fashioned Baked Apple Pie
Compliments of Angela Powers
- Heat oven to 425 degrees for 10 minutes. Then turn oven down to 325 degrees.
Pie Filling Ingredients:
6 cups thinly sliced apples (prefer Granny Smith apples; 6 – 8 apples)
¾ cup sugar (brown or white sugar)
2 Tbsps corn starch
1 tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp salt
1/8 tsp ground Nutmeg
1 Tbsp lemon juice
½ tsp lemon zest
2 Tbsps butter
1 stick of butter
3 cups of flour
1/8 tsp salt
¼ cup of ice water
- Cut butter into flour. Form a large ball. (Do not handle too much because it causes the dough to be tough.)
- Put dough in refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- Cut dough into half: Roll out dough to create the bottom pie crust and the top pie crust.
- In large bowl, gently mix the apple filling ingredients. Then place into pie crust lined pan.
- Place 2 Tbsps of butter into this mixture. Put 2nd layer of crust on top of pie and cut slits into top of crust.
- Press edges (or flute) of pie crust together to seal the pie.
- Bake pie for 40 – 45 minutes.
- Cool pie on cake rack.
Compliments of Pearl Wilder
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
1/2 lb noodles (medium) cooked & drained
Pinch of salt
¼ cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 lb cottage cheese (not creamy)
1 cup sour cream
1 stick butter
- In large bowl beat eggs.
- Add cinnamon, vanilla, sugar & cottage cheese to egg mixture.
- Blend until smooth.
- Fold sour cream into mixture.
- Pour mixture into a greased baking dish.
- Lower temp to 350 degree.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes. (Edges of Kugel in baking dish should be brown.)
- Serve with sour cream, cherry or blueberry toppings.