Our old Philadelphia telephone exchanges were strong reminders of places we called home. Today, phone numbers are monotonous, colorless strings of digits.
The Philadelphia Phillies participated in the first inter-continental sportscast via satellite on July 23, 1962 via “Telstar”. This sports moment was a part of a 22 minute dual CBS/NBC broadcast. The Charles DeGaulle – Johnny Callison telegram is a flight of fantasy.
Andalusia, PA Drive -In, Andalusia, PA, Cinema Treasures
Two Old Philadelphia Favorites…”Dewey’s” Restaurants and Fleers “Double Bubble”
Ace Eagles running back Steve Van Buren almost didn’t make it to the ballpark.
Mary Tyler Moore started her brilliant TV career in a series of 1956 Hotpoint appliance television commercials.
Old Fashioned Baked Apple Pie
Compliments of Angela Powers
- Heat oven to 425 degrees for 10 minutes. Then turn oven down to 325 degrees.
Pie Filling Ingredients:
6 cups thinly sliced apples (prefer Granny Smith apples; 6 – 8 apples)
¾ cup sugar (brown or white sugar)
2 Tbsps corn starch
1 tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp salt
1/8 tsp ground Nutmeg
1 Tbsp lemon juice
½ tsp lemon zest
2 Tbsps butter
1 stick of butter
3 cups of flour
1/8 tsp salt
¼ cup of ice water
- Cut butter into flour. Form a large ball. (Do not handle too much because it causes the dough to be tough.)
- Put dough in refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- Cut dough into half: Roll out dough to create the bottom pie crust and the top pie crust.
- In large bowl, gently mix the apple filling ingredients. Then place into pie crust lined pan.
- Place 2 Tbsps of butter into this mixture. Put 2nd layer of crust on top of pie and cut slits into top of crust.
- Press edges (or flute) of pie crust together to seal the pie.
- Bake pie for 40 – 45 minutes.
- Cool pie on cake rack.
Compliments of Pearl Wilder
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
1/2 lb noodles (medium) cooked & drained
Pinch of salt
¼ cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 lb cottage cheese (not creamy)
1 cup sour cream
1 stick butter
- In large bowl beat eggs.
- Add cinnamon, vanilla, sugar & cottage cheese to egg mixture.
- Blend until smooth.
- Fold sour cream into mixture.
- Pour mixture into a greased baking dish.
- Lower temp to 350 degree.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes. (Edges of Kugel in baking dish should be brown.)
- Serve with sour cream, cherry or blueberry toppings.
…from the staff and management of MOVIEHOUSE PRODUCTIONS…
Howard McNear, 1905-1969, was one of the great character actors. He played Doc Adams on the Gunsmoke radio program and barber Floyd Lawson on TV’s Andy Griffith show. McNear’s first TV appearance as barber occurred in 1958, giving Wally Cleaver a shave on “Leave it to Beaver”.